Interactive Biomaterials REU Program
June 7, 2021 – August 13, 2021
318 Bowne Hall
Syracuse, New York, 13244
DEADLINE for all Applications is March 1, 2021 – Rolling Admission Policy
All Applications, Letters of Recommendation and Transcript(s) must be received by
5:00 pm, MARCH 1, 2021. Applicants are encouraged to apply early during the rolling admission process.
A note from the Program Directors regarding COVID-19:
Due to uncertainty surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the REU Site reserves the right to modify the program features and requirements. Every effort will be made to host an in-person program, however, all projects will be designed to shift to remote participation if necessary. Applicants will be notified of all developments and changes to program requirements.
- A ten week full-time research experience, mentored by a SU, Upstate or ESF faculty member.
- Collaborative research on the campuses of Syracuse University, Upstate Medical University and SUNY ESF
- State-of-the-art research facilities
- Seminars, workshops and professional development
- REU Research Poster Session (students may be nominated to participate in NSF REU Symposium)
- 2021 REU Program anticipates hosting an on-campus research experience only, no residential offering.
- Undergraduate students majoring in science or engineering*
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Women, military veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
- This year we are specifically seeking applicants who live in the Central New York/Syracuse greater metropolitan area (regardless of the geographical location of their undergraduate institution.)
*Most Students will have completed their junior year, although talented students with less experience will be considered for acceptance in the program.
- $6000 Stipend
- On Campus Allowance
- Social activities as deemed allowable by NYS
- 3D Biofabrication/Bioprinting
- Functional and Responsive Materials
- Tissue Engineering/Regenerative Medicine
- Polymer Chemistry, Rheology and Processing
- Theory and Modeling
- Stem Cell Based Therapies
- Biomaterials Composites
- Soft and Living Matter
- Medical Device
- Cell/Materials Interactions
- Developmental Biology
How to complete application packet.
- Please complete the application online.
- The application includes a personal statement (one page) describing your career goals in scientific research and why you wish to participate in this program. You may find it easier to compose the personal statement by using a word processor, and then copy/paste it into the form.
- Select Research Projects (ranked 1-5). To review list of Research Projects
- Print a copy of the online form for your records, check the box indicating that you agree to the stated conditions, and submit the form.
Please send a pdf of your transcript (s) to Karen Low at (email@example.com)
Letters of Recommendation:
Obtain two letters of recommendation from faculty members at your institution or elsewhere. These persons should be familiar with your academic and/or research abilities and should be able to judge whether you are suited for undergraduate research. Please contact your references prior to submitting your application, Please note: Inform your reference that the online application will automatically generate an email request to your reference after submitting your application. References may email their letters of recommendation directly to Karen Low (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please use the link below to complete your application:
Interactive Biomaterials Application