Alan Levy, Professor
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Address: 243 Link Hall
Research interests lie within the fields of nonlinear mechanics and applied mathematics and focus primarily on the micromechanics of interfaces, vascular mechanics, effective composite property analysis and constitutive material modeling.
Current research activities in vascular mechanics are focused on the fundamental mechanical mechanisms that underlie i) the rupture of atherosclerotic arterial plaques and ii) the incipient growth and development of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Research on the failure of layered composite systems, such as FRP plate reinforced concrete beams and dental implants, is concerned with the development of a general tool to analyze interfacial debonding and crack initiation and growth in isotropic and anisotropic materials.
· Nguyen, C. and Levy, A.J., “Mechanics of Interface Failure in the Trilayer Elastic Composite,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 48 2467-2484 (2011).cleardoi:10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2011.04.018
· Nguyen, C. and Levy, A.J., “The Mechanics of Atherosclerotic Plaque Rupture by Inclusion/Matrix Interfacial Decohesion,” Journal of Biomechanics 43 46-52 (2010). doi:10.1016/j.jbiomech.2010.06.012
· Nguyen, C. and Levy, A.J., “An Exact Theory Of Interfacial Debonding In Layered Elastic Composites,” International Journal of Solids and Structures,” 46, 2712-2723 (2009).
· Xie, M. and Levy, A.J., “Defect Propagation at a Circular Interface,” International Journal of Fracture, 144, 1-20 (2007).
· Levy, A.J., Shukla, A. and Xie, M., “Bending and Buckling of a Class of Nonlinear Fiber Composite Rods,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 54/5, 1064-1092 (2006).
· Xie, M. and Levy, A.J., “The Viscoelastic Fiber Composite with Nonlinear Interface,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 73, 268-280 (2006).
· Xie, M. and Levy, A.J., “On the Torsion of a Class of Nonlinear Fiber Composite Cylinders,” Journal of Elasticity 75, 31-48 (2004).
· Levy, A.J., “Bifurcation Phenomena in the Rigid Inclusion Power Law Matrix Composite Sphere,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 40, 2535-2561 (2003).